Naruto is considered one of the most popular anime and manga series in the world. We all have a special memory attached to the series. Released in the year 2002, the anime series continued till 2017 and became the most popular in the world. The series is versatile, to say the least, with its variety of characters, clans of shinobi, plots twists, backstories, tragedies, and so on.
The series introduced us to many legendary shinobi and their Jutsu. However, the series had more than its fair share of fights and dramas. The story, although entertaining and beautifully written, is actually very inspirational and emotional at times. There were times when we couldn’t help but relate to certain characters and their sayings. There were several characters who went through different kinds of pain in their lives. Each of them, whether they were protagonists or antagonists, had something to teach us.
Here is a list of the best quotes said by every major Naruto character.
As a victim of brutal discrimination and ostracization, Naruto had a difficult life. He was hated by others simply for being there. But that didn't stop him from having dreams and fighting for them to make them a reality. Naruto taught us to be kind even when the whole world's against us. He taught us to never give up on things we believe in and fight for them. Naruto wasn't the most talented at first. He messed up even the simplest Jutsu and created problems for everyone around him. If he was anything, it'd be persistent, or maybe relentless.
At first glance, Naruto comes off as a silly protagonist who doesn't think with his brain. Which is true in most cases. But when it counts, he is a person with wise words, inspiration, and lessons.
He had a clear goal ahead of him, and he never wavered. Sure, he stumbled and even fell a lot of times along the way, but he kept persevering. His words always hit the deepest parts of our hearts, some were too emotional while others gave us some kind of strength to keep persisting just like him.
Quotes by Naruto Uzumaki
1. “If you don’t like your destiny, don’t accept it. Instead have the courage to change it the way you want it to be.”
2. “I’m not gonna run away, I never go back on my word! That’s my nindo: my ninja way.”
3. “Failing doesn’t give you a reason to give up, as long as you believe.”
4. “I care more about others than I do myself, and I won’t let anyone hurt them.”
5. “Hard work is worthless for those that don’t believe in themselves.”
6. “It’s not the face that makes someone a monster, it’s the choices they make with their lives.”
7. “While you’re alive, you need a reason for your existence. Being unable to find one is the same as being dead.”
8. When you give up, your dreams and everything else they’re gone.
9. “The pain of being alone is completely out of this world, isn’t it? I don’t know why, but I understand your feelings so much, it actually hurts.”
10. “People who continue to put their lives on the line to defend their faith become heroes and continue to exist in legend.”
11. "If you don’t like the hand that fate’s dealt you with, fight for a new one.”
12. “Bonds aren’t just about history or blood, It’s something much stronger, Feelings of love, that’s all you need.”
13. “You don’t die for your friends, you live for them.”
14. “Believe it!”
15. “Don’t underestimate me! I don’t quit and I don’t run.”
16. “Once you question your own belief it’s over.”
17. "Quit it your stupid reasoning! I meant to say that I'll stand any pain for my friends! I'm not gonna give up on them!! It might just be selfish, but... not having friends here... is the most painful thing I have to bear! Period!"
18. "Then I will break that curse. If there is a thing such as peace, I will find the answer. So I won't give up!"
19. “I am strong because I have people to protect.”
20. “There is no telling what kind of pain will come after me, but if I stop believing because of that, if the hero should change, it’ll turn into another story from the one my master left behind. Then it won’t be Naruto!”
Sasuke is one of the major characters in the series. He started out as an awkward kid who couldn't express himself in front of others, then became an anti-hero who wanted nothing more than to kill his brother, and finally, he became a strong shinobi who protected his village from the shadows.
If Naruto was someone who lived in the light, Sasuke was someone who belonged in the darkness. Ever since the start of the series, Sasuke was shown as a character who buried the darkest parts of himself deep in his heart. Unlike Naruto, Sasuke grew up in a loving family, with his parents and a kind brother who'd do anything for him. But one day, his happy life crumbled in a few minutes when Itachi, his brother massacred their entire clan.
Never knowing the reason why Sasuke spent the rest of his life hating his brother and swearing to kill him to avenge his clan. Later, he severed his bonds with his teammates, left the village, and followed Orochimaru to become stronger. However, Sasuke wasn't someone who'd want to hurt others for no reason. He became like that because his circumstances forced him to. Since he couldn't let go of the hate, he decided to make it his ally. Through his words and actions, Sasuke lets out the feelings of loneliness and sadness quite efficiently.
Quotes by Sasuke Uchiha
1. "No man chooses evil because he is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks."
2. "Tears and rain, fall down on my face, my body is unable to stay, yet my heart is unwilling to leave."
3. "The people that are the hardest to love are usually the ones who need it the most."
4. "I have long since closed my eyes. My only goal is in the darkness."
5. "It's not the future I dream of anymore, only the past."
6. "I never want to see another important person die in front of me again."
7. "Having too many bonds causes one to lose focus, weakening their strongest wish, their greatest desire."
8. "What I have is not a dream because I will make it a reality."
9. "Because that which can be destroyed can always be fixed and rebuilt."
10. "This Is The Path I Walk. Not You Or Anyone Can Change That."
11. “I’m suffering now because I had those ties.”
Since we are talking about the character development of major Naruto characters, we can't leave Sakura behind. She started out as an annoying girl who had a crush on Sasuke and didn't have any aspirations of her own. However, later she becomes a strong Kunoichi with exceptional medical skills and then a kind and loving single mother. Unlike other characters in the series, Sakura didn't have a tragic backstory.
But that doesn't mean she didn't suffer later on. She had to watch the person she loved to leave the village and become a rogue. Later, she went through difficult training with Tsunade to become stronger. She learned extremely delicate chakra control and even picked up Tsunade's medical ninjutsu from her. Although she remains a controversial character since most of the fans tend to hate her, her development and contribution in the series cannot be denied. That said, she remains one of the most memorable characters in the series.
Quotes by Sakura Haruno
1. “A smile is the easiest way out of a difficult situation.”
2. “The things that are most important aren’t written in books. You have to learn them by experiencing them yourself.”
3. "On that day, you taught me that solitude is painful! I understand that so well right now. I have family, and I have friends but if you're gone... To me... It will be the same as being alone."
4. "The beauty of the cherry blossoms color the world! And the will of the girls brings victory!"
5. “I love you with all my heart!.. If you were to stay here with me, there would be no regrets…because every day we’d do something fun, we’d be happy I swear..! I would do anything for you! So…please, just stay with me!”
6. “Didn’t you know? Women have to be strong in order to survive!”
7. “Every one of us must do what’s in their power! If we’re going to die anyway, then it’s better to die fighting than to do nothing!”
8. "All I've been doing is watching you two from behind... Now, get a good look at MY back!"
Jiraiya was one of the legendary Sanin, famous for his Sage Jutsu. He was more than just a mentor to Naruto. He was his friend and father figure, some he could call family. He was one of the strongest shinobi in the village. But, he hardly ever stayed there. Instead, Jiraiya was more interested in writing his books and wandering around villages to find more information about the Akatsuki. His death was one of the most emotional and heartbreaking moments for the fans. Jiraiya made his mark in the series.
Whether it was his crazy antics, wisdom, relationship with Naruto and Minato, or his exceptional talent, he is arguably one of the most fan-favorite characters in the series. Jiraiya had an eccentric personality, but he was nowhere near as crazy he seemed to be. He was intelligent, with a keen sense of his enemies' weaknesses, and talented in strategizing. He always talked about dying in a way a hero would. And when he did, he thought to himself of passing down his legacy to his successor, Naruto.
Quotes by Jiraiya
1. "I believe that the day will come when people can truly understand each other."
2. "Rejection is a part of any man's life. If you can't accept and move past rejection or at least use it as writing material you're not a real man."
3. "The most important thing for a shinobi is the spirit and the will to never give up!"
4. "The true measure of a shinobi is not how he lives but how he dies. It's not what they do in life but what they did before dying that proves their worth."
5. "Learning from failure is a positive way to get a grasp of the harsh realities of life."
6. "Knowing what it feels to be in pain, is exactly why we try to be kind to others."
7. "One person is all everyone needs."
8. "A person grows up when he's able to overcome hardships. Protection is important, but there are some things that a person must learn on his own."
9. "A smile doesn't always mean they're happy."
10. "Hatred is a strong emotion that can harness the worst inside a person, pushing them to commit heinous acts."
11. "The route of self-discovery and becoming is a long one. Every shinobi is on a quest for self-improvement, and through perseverance, victory becomes the goal."
Itachi is arguably the most tragic character in the series. He was wise, talented, and kind. But he was also the one to suffer the most. Perceived as a villain for several years, it was only after his death that the truth behind his actions was finally revealed. Almost instantly, from being a villain, Itachi became the most beloved character of the fans. He was considered one of the strongest Uchiha and was exceptionally brilliant.
Itachi was forced by Danzo to annihilate his own clan in exchange for saving his younger brother, Sasuke. He then joined Akatsuki as a spy for Konoha and ultimately died willingly in a battle with Sasuke.
Itachi's wisdom and genius were something that even the Third Hokage acknowledged. Hiruzen once said that even as a child, Itachi was more of a Hokage than he could ever be. As the most well-written character in the series, Itachi said some extremely inspirational and impactful words every time he appeared in an episode.
Quotes by Itachi Uchiha
1. "People's lives don't end when they die. It ends when they lose faith."
2. “It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions and by their appearances.”
3. “If you want to know who you are, you have to look at your real self and acknowledge what you see.”
4. “True Change cannot be made if it is bound by laws and limitations, predictions and imagination.”
5. "However strong you become, never seek to bear everything alone. If you do, failure is certain."
6. "Even the strongest of opponents always has a weakness."
7. “Self-sacrifice... A nameless shinobi who protects peace within its shadow. That is a true shinobi.”
8. “Knowledge and awareness are vague, and perhaps better called illusions. Everyone lives within their own subjective interpretation."
9. “Teachings that do not speak of pain have no meaning, for humankind cannot gain anything in return."
10. “It’s foolish to fear what we have yet to see and know.”
11. “Those who turn their hands against their comrades are sure to die a terrible death. Be prepared."
12. "You focus on the trivial, and lose sight of what is most important. Change is impossible in this fog of ignorance."
13. "You don't become the Hokage to be acknowledged by everyone. The one who is acknowledged by everyone becomes the Hokage."
14. "So tell me where should I go, to the left where nothing is right or to the right where nothing is left?"
15. “Those who forgive themselves, and are able to accept their true nature... They are the strong ones!"
16. “Growth occurs when one goes beyond one’s limit. Realizing that is also a part of the training.”
17. “You’re such a child. You talk of nothing but pipe dreams… there are times when people must make painful choices.”
18. "Loneliness is this world’s worst kind of pain.”
19. “No single thing is perfect by itself. That’s why we’re born to attract other things to make up for what we lack.”
20. “We are humans, not fish. We don’t know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realize what you are. That’s what death is, don’t you think?”
Pain - Nagato Uzumaki
People deal with pain differently. Some face the pain head-on and fight against it. While the rest embody it as if it's the driving force of their lives. Nagato Uzumaki fell into the second category, so much so that he started going by the alias "Pain".
Even though he was a descendant of the Uzumaki clan, his parents weren't Shinobi. However, his family was still caught up in the war between Shinobi villages, ultimately leading to the death of his parents. When Jiraiya was in the Hidden Rain Village due to war, he took Nagato in along with his two friends Yahiko and Konan, who were also war orphans.
After Jiraya left, the three friends formed a group called Akatsuki. They envisioned a peaceful Hidden Rain Village and formed allies until Yahiko was forced to take his own life by Hanzo.
After that, Pain was manipulated by Obito under the guise of Madara until Akatsuki became a terrorist organization as we know it. Even though Nagato committed all sorts of crimes, his intentions were noble. Also, as the leader of the Akatsuki, he did everything he could to help the Rain Village's poor conditions.
Quotes by Nagato Uzumaki
1. “Those who do not understand true pain can never understand true peace.”
2. “Justice comes from vengeance but that justice only breeds more vengeance.”
3. “Do You Understand Pain A Little Now? If You Don’t Share Someone’s Pain, You Can Never Understand Them.”
4. “Just By Living, People Hurt Others Without Even Realizing It. So Long As Humanity Exists, Hate Will Also Exist. There Is No Peace In This Accursed World. War Is Just A Crime Paid For By The Pain Of The Defeated.”
5. “Sometimes You Must Hurt In Order To Know, Fall In Order To Grow, Lose In Order To Gain Because Life’s Greatest Lessons Are Learned Through Pain.”
6. “Pain Is The Only Way To Teach, Pain Is The Only Solution To Peace. If You Want To Know Pain, You Need To Understand Pain.”
7. "Just because you understand them doesn’t mean you can come to an agreement, That’s the truth."
8. “Love Breeds Sacrifice, Which In Turn Breeds Hatred. Then You Can Know Pain.”
9. "We are but men, drawn to act in the name of revenge that we deem to be justice."
10. "How can you say that you will never change? That you will not change, no matter how great the pain you face?"
11. "Love is the reason why there is pain."
12. "Eventually, time will pass and the pain will heal."
Madara was the primary antagonist of the series. He was the legendary leader of the Uchiha clan as well as one of the founding members of Konohagakure, alongside Hashirama Senju.
Madara grew up in an era of war and had to face the brutality of mankind since his early years. He was the first Uchiha in centuries to befriend a Senju. He held deep admiration and respect for Hashirama Senju and they both worked together to stop the rivalry among different clans of Shinobi.
However, the fact that Tobirama (Hashirama's brother) had killed his younger brother always remained a thorn in his heart. Deep down, Madara couldn't let go of the hatred that ran in his blood.
Ultimately, he was manipulated by Black Zetsu and believed to have uncovered the secrets of his clan. Though in reality, it was simply a deception created by Black Zetsu. Madara, who believed in the words of the stone tablets wholeheartedly, believed that the only salvation this world can offer is through putting everyone in a Genjutsu called Infinite Tsukuyomi.
Madara was a complicated character, so he was difficult to understand. He was nowhere near evil, but his actions hurt several people over the decades. Madara often commented on the duality of life, power, war, and peace that we can apply to real life, as well.
Quotes by Madara Uchiha
1. “The longer you live… The more you realize that reality is just made of pain, suffering, and emptiness.”
2. “When a man learns to love, he must bear the risk of hatred.”
3. “Thinking of peace whilst spilling blood is something that only humans could do. They’re two sides of the same coin… to protect something… another must be sacrificed.”
4. “The concept of hope is nothing more than giving up. A word that holds no true meaning.”
5. “Life is a happening puzzle in our early days, but as we grow elder and elder, we start to realize the meaning of life and the pattern with which it goes on. It actually is nothing but creation, followed by preservation and then destruction.”
6. “Balance is what keeps the world going.”
7. “Hope isn’t something where keep on hanging onto something, but where we let things go and leave it up to the fate, and keep an optimistic approach towards life.”
8. “In this world, wherever there is light – there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.”
9. “Humans are nothing but divided amongst the two sides of a coin. They would wanna fight for peace, but by physical war, and only that victory would bring them the final peace.”
10. “Life will always throw new challenges at you just when you will feel like you’ve succeeded but you’ve gotta hold in there, tight, and get through with it.”
11. “Things never go according to our comfort but run according to their schedule.”
12. “People cannot show each other their true feelings. Fear, suspicion, and resentment never subside.”
13. “Be strong enough to be someone who even the demons would fear.”
14. “We need guidance to help us find a purpose in life. Without this, life will be just a journey without any real destination.”
15. “Only with strength and unyielding power can one stand up to even the mightiest of foes.”
16. “Power is not will, it is the phenomenon of physically making things happen.”
17. “Too much of anything never turns out to be healthy.”
18. “The purpose of power should be to help you protect your loved ones. If not, then that power is futile.”
19. “Sometimes, in life, you run out of chances, because you’ve been stuck on that one particular thing for very long. Learn to let go and move on from things which aren’t written in our fate.”
20. “Don’t improvise what you cannot handle.”
21. “Forgive and forget and you’ll be a better human being.”
22. “The face of my enemy scares me only when I realize how much it resembles mine.”
23. “It’s not possible to see what a person really thinks and feels deep inside.”
24. “Wake up to reality! Nothing ever goes as planned in this world.”
Kakashi the Copy Ninja, Kakashi of the Sharingan, Kakashi of the Hidden Leaf; known by several aliases, he had enough talent to live up to all of them. He was a Chunin at 6, Jonin at 10, and finally an Anbu at 13, Kakashi was the role model for every Shinobi in the village. As a major character in the Naruto franchise, Kakashi played an important role in Naruto's life. After the Fourth Great Shinobi War, he became the Sixth Hokage and held on to the position until Naruto was ready to take the title of the Seventh.
However, behind all his glory, Kakashi was someone who kept losing people who were important to him his entire life. At some point after Minato's death, Kakashi lost all hope in his life. His time in the Anbu were the darkest years of his life when he simply lived as a killing machine and sealed his emotions away. It was Hiruzen who forced Kakashi to take his position as a Jonin again and form a team for himself.
Ultimately, it was the best decision he made since Kakashi found new reasons to live for, his students. He often talked about bonds, the challenges of being a shinobi, and his words reflected hope for a better future.
Quotes by Kakashi Hatake
1. “If comrades that you trust gather around you, hope can take physical form and become visible. That`s what I believe.”
2. “A ninja must see underneath the underneath.”
3. “In society, those who don’t have many abilities, tend to complain more.”
4. “I’ve lived longer than you. And times have been bad. I know the pain of loss. You and I haven’t really been fortunate. It’s true. But it could be worse. For me, and for you, too… We’ve found good friends, haven’t we? Because of your losses, you should understand."
5. “This place makes me think about the mistakes I’ve made in the past… and I’ve made so many of them.”
6. “You’re wrong. As long as we’re alive, we have to continue fighting. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a shinobi or a regular person. Wielding a kunai or wielding banknotes, it’s the same thing. The very fact of living itself means you’re always fighting for your life. ”
7. “Don’t look away… When you live like a Shinobi, this is how it ends.”
8. “I won’t allow my comrades to die. I’ll protect you with my life. Trust me.”
9. “There’s no time like the present, I guess.”
10. “To know what is right and choose to ignore it is the act of a coward.”
11. “The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
12. “The hole in one’s heart gets filled by others around you."
13. “Some people want power and they get mad when they don’t get it. They take their fury out on everyone else. You don’t want it; it becomes you.”
14. “No matter how far Orochimaru fell, he still loved him… Now I know how the Third Hokage felt.”
15. “They say that the nail that sticks up is the one that gets hammered down.”
Shikamaru is famous for his wits and his laziness. He is also one of the most loved characters due to his intelligence and smart comebacks. On the surface, his laziness seemed to be a bad influence on his personality, but that's what made his character so endearing. He’s one of the most laid-back shinobi of his generation.
This means that despite being one of the brightest and most talented students, he avoids responsibility whenever possible because he doesn’t want anybody to have unrealistic expectations of him.
Despite this, he can manage everything whenever it counts. Due to Orochimaru's attack on the Hidden Leaf Village, the Chunin Exam was canceled. However, Shikamaru was the only one who was promoted as a Chunin. This speaks volumes of his talents. Shikamaru's quotes reflected a lot about his personality. Although he didn't have a lot of screentime, he's said some pretty amazing and wise words.
Quotes by Shikamaru Nara
1. "Laziness is the mother of all bad habits, but ultimately she is a mother and we should respect her."
2. "I could say I'm not sad, but I'd be lying. The problem is the world won't let me stay a kid forever, so I can't lie around crying about it either.”
3. "It's stupid to talk about things you're not. Be yourself and you'll be fine."
4. "Sometimes I wish I was a cloud... Just floating along, going wherever the breeze takes me."
5. "Regardless of our limitations, we can always be of some use. Our power may seem insignificant... but it may just prove to be useful in the grand scheme of things."
6. "Don't you think it's about time for us to be the ones who entrust, not the entrusted. It's a drag, but I can't say that."
7. "I only became a ninja because I thought life would've been more interesting as one... I suppose things aren't gonna be that simple."
8. "I know I usually seem like a pretty lazy guy, but not today. Because now, I'm responsible for your lives too."
9. "It’s because we help out when they’re in trouble that we can count on them to come running when we need it.
10. "Stay focused. Never avert your eyes, because if an opening arises, even our insignificant power may be enough to determine the fate of the world."
11. "If you curse to kill someone, you also get killed in retribution, that’s why you need two holes for the burial."
12. "We are not that stupid. I have no intention to die...but, I don’t want to give up without setting things straight...I don’t want to live a crappy life like that."
13. "That doesn’t scare me. We believe in different things. I believe in the will of fire."
14. "He turned a room full of strangers into a room full of enemies with just one sentence."
15. "How many times do I have to tell you? The first move is always a feint. It's the most basic thing, to land a hit with the second move."
16. "It’s not because I’m lazy, it’s just because I don’t care."
17. "There’s no advantage to hurrying through life."
18. "Sorry I am late, but I won’t hesitate anymore."
The Naruto franchise didn't have a shortage of tragic characters, and Gaara was one of them. As a Jinchuuriki, Gaara was a victim of brutal discrimination just like Naruto. He was the son of the Kazekage and yet, had to live in a harsh reality of being unloved and feared by everyone around him. His life was the outcome of everything that was wrong in the ninja world.
However, for him, Naruto became his salvation. After fighting Naruto, Gaara understood the real meaning of power, friendship, and bonds. Naruto took his hand and guided him to the right path and Gaara became one of his closest friends.
Gaara always kept Naruto's words with him and strived to be acknowledged by everyone in his village. Later, at the beginning of Naruto Shippuden, Gaara became the hope of the Sand village and saved the village numerous times. He was the youngest Kazekage and protected the village even at the cost of risking his own life for it. His words were often about Naruto's importance in his life as well as the pain and suffering of being alone.
Quotes by Gaara
1. “We have walked through the darkness of the world, that's why we are able to see even a sliver of light.”
2. “I used to think ‘friend’ was just another word... Nothing more, nothing less. But when I met you, I realized what was important was the word's meaning.”
3. “One day I’d like to become something precious to others.”
4. “If all other people exist to magnify that love, then there is no more a splendid universe than this one.”
5. “Peace under an illusion is not peace. It is only meaningful if the real world manages to accomplish it.”
6. "When did all of you forsake yourselves?"
7. “Between those who experience the same pain, there can be no hate.”
8. “You have the same eyes as I do...the eyes, filled with hatred and death, that long for strength.”
9. “In order to exist you need a purpose, to exist without a purpose is the same as being dead.”
10. “People cannot win against their loneliness.”
11. “If love is just a word, then why does it hurt so much when you realize it isn't there?”
12. “Just because someone is important to you, it doesn't necessarily mean that person is good. Even if you knew that person was evil.”
13. “In order to escape a road of solitude, one has to work hard and forge a new path with their own power.”
Obito was another important antagonist in the series. He was a member of Team Minato and an important friend to Kakashi. In fact, he was the reason why Kakashi had his Sharingan. However, after the tragic accident where Obito was believed to be dead, Madara Uchiha found him. Madara saved his life and took him under his wing.
With the help of Zetsu, Madara fed Obito's heart with hatred and malice. Obito was a bright teenager whose dream was to become a Hokage. Even though he fought with Kakashi several times, when the latter was in danger, he selflessly pushed him away and got crushed by the boulder himself.
During the war, Naruto's words changed him to his old self again. He realized his mistakes due to Naruto and helped Team 7 defeat Kaguya. He settled his old scores with Kakashi and everything seemed well until Obito suddenly disintegrated into dust. He died shielding Naruto and Kakashi from Kaguya's attack. Obito's words often reflected the depths of despair and grief he experienced in his life. Apart from that, he often said impactful words about love and friendship.
Quotes by Obito Uchiha
1. “Those who abandon their friends are even worse than scum. If I’m going to be called scum, either way, I’d rather break the rules! And if that’s not being a proper shinobi, then I’ll destroy that idea!”
2. “I have no interest in the affairs of the world soon to end.”
3. “I’m no one. I don’t want to be anyone.”
4. “There is no such thing as peace in this world—that is reality.”
5. “Now, I finally realized that faking one’s name and letting others do everything for you is different than entrusting something to one’s comrades.”
6. “This world is completely worthless. There is nothing left in it but misery.”
7. “You’ll probably have to suffer again from now on, but don’t change. Keep going your way.”
8. “I shall sever the nexuses of this world. That’s why I came back.”
9. “What will I gain from criticizing this absurd reality?”
10. “Look at me! There is nothing in my heart! I don’t feel pain any longer.”
11. “No one cared who I was until I put on a mask.”
12. "You need to let that guilt go Kakashi, This wind hole wasn’t your doing, it was made by this cruel, evil world."
13. “A real leader may let others step over his corpse, but he’ll never step over his comrades.”
14. "It is not worth living in this world where only despair exists."
15. "Reality is like this grand river, no matter how hard one tries to stop it, reality will swallow them whole and mercilessly crush them."
16. “For you, I must be strong.”
As one of the three legendary Sanin, Orochimaru was a legendary figure in almost every Shinobi village. He was able to wield four Kekkei Genkai and several other powerful Jutsu. At some point, after Team Hiruzen was disbanded due to Hiruzen becoming the Third Hokage, Orochimaru joined the Anbu Black Ops. However, he soon developed an interest in immortality and human test subjects and had to flee Konoha as a rogue.
Orochimaru attacked the Leaf Village during the Chunin exams, which resulted in the deaths of the Third Hokage and the Fourth Kazekage. He took Sasuke under his wing with the goal of taking his body for himself. However, without realizing it, Orochimaru started genuinely caring for Sasuke and changed his ways.
It was around the time of the Fourth Great Shinobi War that he played an important role. He came back to live in Konoha under the supervision of the higher-ups. Despite being evil, he was wise and one of the most intelligent characters in the series.
Quotes by Orochimaru
1. “Hate only gives birth to even more hate.”
2. “Real power is forged from the desire smoldering in the heart. It fans into a flame and begins to burn with an intensity scarcely imagined to be possible.”
3. “When there is a true desire in the heart and that desire is strong… That is when he finds real strength that even he did not know he had!”
4. “What nonsense! In the grand scheme of time, you’re nothing more than a trivial footnote in the brief history of a cluster of huts called the “Leaf Village”! In time, the Hokage Stone Faces will crumble and be worn down to nothing.”
5. “How impressive. A thousand foes stand before you and you don’t even bat an eyelid.”
6. “Only one who understands everything after spending much time on this can be fittingly called the Ultimate Being.”
7. “The best medicines always taste bitter.”
8. “Maybe, just maybe, there is no purpose in life… but if you linger a while longer in this world, you might discover something of value in it.”
9. “There probably isn’t any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something interesting to do while you are alive. Like how you found that flower. Like how I found you.”
10. “It’s human nature not to realize the true value of something unless they lose it.”
11. “Either people change or they die before they do. It’s one or the other.”
12. “Darkness. When everything that you know and love is taken away from you so harshly. All you can think about is anger, hatred, and even revenge. And no one can save you.”
Minato was the Fourth Hokage and Naruto's father. He was dubbed as the "Yellow Flash of the Leaf" due to his fast speed. Without even a Kekkei Genkai, his powers were so feared across the nations that the entire army of Shinobi had to flee from the battle scene just because of his presence. Minato died before the events of the series and had very little screen time. Despite that, he is one of the most iconic and beloved characters.
However, Minato's glory was short-lived. He was the Hokage for only 2 or 3 years until the tragic attack by the Nine-Tailed Fox and Obito Uchiha that killed several people in the village. Minato sacrificed himself to save his newborn son and the village. He used the Death Reaper Seal and sealed half of Kurama's chakra inside Naruto and the other in himself.
Quotes by Minato Namikaze
1. "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil."
2. "If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."
3. "The most important thing for a shinobi is teamwork!"
4 "Pain was the one who killed Jiraiya-sensei, but the more I think about it, the more I believe he was killed by that disorder that gave birth to Pain."
5. "You will find the answer... I believe in you."
6. "I have died many a death in love, and yet, had I not loved, I would never have lived at all."
7. "Don't be afraid of death, be afraid of the unlived life."
8. "Dying to make a better life for his son, that’s a father job to handle."
9. "To be a ninja is to confront hatred."
10. "Even I have things I can’t give up on!"
11. "You may be my enemy... but I like you."
12. "You taught me well, Sensei! That is how I was able to get so strong!"
13. "When you don’t just talk big, but have a courageous heart as well, then you’ll be truly strong."
Kushima was Naruto's mother and the Jinchuriki of the Nine-Tailed Beast before him. She was from the Hidden Rain Village and was brought to Hidden Leaf Village for the sole purpose of being a Jinchuriki.
She was enrolled in the academy there and faced severe criticism due to her unusual hair color. That is where she met Minato for the first time as well. Not long after, Minato saved her from kidnappers who came for the power of the Nine-Tailed Beast. They both fell in love with each other during their childhood.
Soon after they got married, Minato became the Hokage and sometime later, Kushina announced her pregnancy. However, the perfect life of the couple was cut short due to Obito's and Madara's scheme.
As the female Jinchuriki, she and Minato knew that the seal would be weakened at the time of childbirth. So, she was sent to an isolated place for her safety that no one knew about. Unfortunately, as soon as she gave birth to Naruto, Obito infiltrated the place and took her away from there to extract the Nine-Tailed Beast out of her.
Had she been a normal human, she would have instantly but since she was from the Uzumaki clan, she held on a little longer. Kushina ultimately died with Minato while protecting Naruto from Kurama's attack.
Quotes by Kushina
1. "Minato. Are you listening?! Our hopes...did reach our boy!"
2. "Naruto. There'll be plenty of hard...and painful...times ahead. Take care of yourself! Make sure to have dreams...and the confidence to make those dreams come true! So much! There's so, so much! There really is...so much more I want to tell you. I want to be with you longer. I love you..."
3. "At that moment, Minato was a great ninja in my eyes. He was the man of my dreams. He changed me. This red hair that I used to hate brought me the man of my destiny. And it became the 'red thread of fate.' After that, I learned to love my red hair. And... I fell in love with Minato."
4. "Don't underestimate the Habanero!"
5. "Neither of us have any sort of luck, do we? You keep the world at bay… but I keep you at bay."
6. "If I were allowed...just one regret...I wish I could've seen Naruto...grow up..."
7. "And why do you have to sacrifice yourself for just my sake?"
8. "Remember that everyone has strengths and weaknesses. So don’t get too depressed if you can’t do something well.."
9. "Speaking of vices, watch out for Jiraiya sensei ya know!"
Asuma Sarutobi was a Jonin and leader of Team 10. It was later revealed in the series that he was Hiruzen's son. He had an estranged relationship with his father because they had different ideologies. Asuma and his team were assigned to a mission to capture the Akatsuki members, Hidan and Kakuze, who had attacked a Temple in the Land of Fire.
They had killed a monk there who was also Asuma's old friend, Chiriku. Asuma spent several years training in the temple so he held deep admiration and respect for Chiriku.
As he was fighting Hidan, Asuma realized that he can't beat him since he was an immortal. Nonetheless, he continued to act like he can win so he can buy time for reinforcements to arrive. Asuma sacrificed himself so the rest of his team can make it out alive. Just as Asuma was dying, he had a heartfelt conversation with Ino, Shikamaru, and Choji.
Out of his students, he placed the most trust in Shikamaru and asked him to take care of Kurenai and their unborn baby. Although he wasn't a major character in the series, he certainly left his mark like one.
Quotes by Asuma Sarutobi
1. "The kings...are the unborn children...who will grow up to take care of Konoha. One...is still in Kurenai's womb...her and my child. Take care of my king."
2. "Chōji, you're a kind man who cares for his comrades. That's why... you'll become a shinobi more powerful than everyone else. Be more confident in yourself. And... maybe diet a little."
3. "I just want one last smoke..."
4. "That's what I want to see, Choji. That face...that's all you need to become stronger than anyone. A face brimming with confidence!"
5. "Stop crying and fight me, you worthless fatass!"
6. "Shikamaru can think 10 steps ahead and consider 200 possible moves in a second. But his real strength is his knack for choosing the best one."
7. "Finishing me off with my own weapon? I'm so moved, I can't move!"
Tsunade was one of the legendary Sanin of Konoha as well as the Fifth Hokage. She was dubbed as Princess Tsunade as she was the granddaughter of the First Hokage, Hashirama Senju. She was a strong woman, but deep beneath her strength, she hid her weaknesses. When she was introduced in the series, she was portrayed as a legendary Kunoichi with the best medical Ninjutsu in all the Five Great Nations.
However, she didn't live up to her reputation anymore since she had hemophobia. This was the result of several years of war and losing two of the most important people in her life, her younger brother and lover. Naruto was able to break her out of her shell. At first, Tsunade didn't think Naruto can achieve his dreams, but that changed when she saw his resolve. She gifter him the pendant of her grandfather that her brother and lover used to wear before they died. This shows how much Naruto meant to her.
Quotes by Tsunade
1. “Grow up… Death comes with being a shinobi. There are times when death is hard to accept, but if you don’t get over it, there’s no future.”
2. “Why am I putting my life on the line? Because now… I am the Fifth Hokage of the Village Hidden in the Leaves!”
3. “I will die before I let you touch him!”
4. “People become stronger because they have things they cannot forget. That’s what you call growth.”
5. "The Will of Fire has passed to him and now it's growing. Naruto is striving to surpass Jiraiya this very minute. That's right! He's not some hidden weapon for us to use in war. He's a true Shinobi and defender of the leaf. He is Naruto Uzumaki."
6. "Jiraiya, Lady Chiyo of the Sand, and Sarutobi Sensei, all had what you two clearly lack. And that's the Power to Believe."
7. "It's true that I'm a woman… but I'm definitely not a weak woman… What I inherited from my grandfather isn't just simple 'power'. My true strength comes from that which was passed down from the First to each generation afterward… Don't underestimate the Will of Fire!"
8. "From now on… I too shall bet my life!"
9. "Only when it comes to money. My life is a different story. I'm still alive aren't I…?"
10. "Dreams don't come true when you're dead."
11. "Naruto has a mysterious power. It makes people wanna bet on him."
Born from the power of the ten-tailed beast, Kurama was one of the nine beasts and the strongest one at that. After the defeat of the ten-tailed beast, the Sage of the Six Paths made himself its Jinchuruki and sealed the monster inside of him.
However just before he was about to die, he divided the power of the ten-tailed beast into nine beasts, each having a different number of tails, which also signified their strength. So, the beast with one tail was the weakest and nine tails were the strongest.
Being controlled, used, and chained, Kurama suffered for centuries at the hands of humans. The humans were much weaker than him, but they always had new tricks to keep him in check. He was being forced to do the bidding on behalf of the Uchiha clan and then being controlled by the Uzumaki clan.
At some point in his life, he started having deep resentment towards the humans even to the point of describing himself as the living "embodiment of hatred". His intense hostility and distrust towards humans only faded after he became friends with Naruto. Naruto saw through his heart and made him realize that not all humans are evil.
His friendship with Naruto was also extremely deep. After the war, all the tailed beasts decided to fulfill their dreams and live free from them. However, Kurama was the only one who decided to stay inside Naruto and watch over him for the rest of the latter's life.
Quotes by Kurama
1. "Naruto, Let’s show them our power."
2. "I’ll be gone soon, But I’ll say this, even if it is my undoing, Whatever your plans are, do not destroy Naruto, If you do, you’ll regret it."
3. "You don’t have what it takes to control my power. You’re nothing more than just a mere fragment of my hatred."
4. "Don’t make useless moves, free yourself from useless thoughts, that’s the key to continue defending yourself."
5. "You have changed me a lot, Naruto."
6. "Naruto… If you really want to do something for us… then do what you've always done… Prove it to us with your actions! That's who you are!"
7. "No matter how they say it, humans always say the same thing."
8. "Destroy everything, remove everything that hurts you."
9. "Trust your heart to me, I will save you from suffering."
Hinata is a major character in the franchise and is loved by Naruto fans. She is the eldest daughter of the clan leader of the legendary Hyuga clan, so she is of high stature. She was introduced as a weak and timid Kunoichi who was always shy around Naruto. Although she had a crush on him, her actions made Naruto misunderstand that she hated him.
Hinata was removed as the next heir of the clan she was deemed unworthy by her father to carry out the duties of the clan leader. The way her clan treated her and the fact that she was bullied by other kids, shaped her into the timid person she was.
However, that slowly changed when she became a Genin. Hinata's character development revolved around the fact that she always watched Naruto from the distance. Seeing him not giving despite the challenges ahead, made her feel motivated. She admired Naruto and strived to be just like him. Most of her sayings reflect her self-doubt as well as her feelings for Naruto.
Quotes by Hinata Hyuga
1. "Naruto… I Have Always Watched You For Many Years. Why? I Don't Know Why, But Whenever I Look At You… I Feel More Courage Within Me. It Makes Me Feel Like Even I Can Accomplish Something If I Try… It Makes Me Feel Like Evem I Am Worth Something."
2. "You Make Mistakes. But Because Of Those Mistakes... You Get The Strength To Stand Up To Them. That's Why I Think You Are Truly Strong!"
3. "You're Wrong, Neji... Because I Can See That You Are Suffering More Than Me... You Are The One Who Is Confused And Suffering Inside The Fate Of The Head And Branch Families."
4. "To Other People, I Might Not Have Changed At All, But I Feel Like I Was Able To Change."
5. "In My Eyes, You're A Proud Failure! When I Look At You, I Get An Intense Feeling In My Heart… Because You're Not Perfect… Because You Fail, You Have The Strength To Face Your Failure... I Think That’s Real Strength."
6. "Therefore, Stand Up Together With Me, Naruto... Because Never Going Back On One's Word... Is My Ninja Way, Too!"
7. "You Changed Me! Your Smile Is What Saved Me! That Is Why I’m Not Afraid To Die Protecting You! Because… I Love You.”
8. "I no longer want to run away."
Some people, like Neji, are born geniuses and talented, and they can do almost everything. While others also struggle to at least do one thing with their limited talents. Rock Lee is one of the best characters in the series. He is cheerful and his never-give-up mentality made him one of the greatest ninjas of Konoha.
Rock Lee's biggest dream in life was to become a Shinobi despite not having any Ninjutsu or Genjutsu. Through Taijutsu alone, he made a name for himself even as a Genin and achieved his dreams.
Rock Lee taught us that nothing is impossible if you work hard enough for your dreams. Even when he was paralyzed after his fight with Gaara, he never despaired and kept his hope alive. Rock Lee's words were often about hard work and aspirations. He talked about how he is not a genius yet he can still succeed if he put his mind to it.
Quotes by Rock Lee
1. “If you believe in your dreams, I will prove to you that you can achieve your dreams just by working hard.”
2. “My motto is to be stronger than yesterday, if I have to I’ll be stronger than half a day ago, even a minute ago!”
3. “A hero is not the one who never falls. He is the one who gets up, again and again, never losing sight of his dreams.”
4. “There are two different kinds of ninja. Those like you, who are born with a natural talent and do not have to work at it. And those like me! The ones that have to train every day of our lives!”
5. “It is now the time to carry through and protect one’s own way of ninja.”
6. “A dropout will beat a genius through hard work.”
7. “Stop it! How dare you disrespect an opponent that fought you with all he had!”
8. “I want to show I can be a splendid ninja as well even if I don’t have ninjutsu or genjutsu. I want to prove it to the whole world!”
9. “A rock thrown at a pole will not hit, but if one does not aim at the pole, it will hit! That is the law I used!”
10. “A genius, huh? What does that mean? ‘Genius?’ So I was not born with a whole lot of natural talent, not gifted like Neji, but I work hard and I never give up! That is my gift, that is my ninja way!”
11. “I’m not sad! In front of a man who made an important decision, feeling sadness or pity would be an insult to him!”
12. “I would like to see how my moves will do against a descendant of the genius clan.”
13. “The lotus of the Leaf Village blooms twice.”
No character in the series is talented in Taijutsu as much as Might Guy. He is a jonin in Konoha as well as Rock Lee's mentor. Seeing Lee's resolve of not giving up despite only being able to use Taijutsu, Guy took him under his wing. Since Guy is a master in Taijutsu, there was no better mentor for Lee.
During the war, when Madara successfully became the Jinchuriki of the ten-tailed beast, Might Guy was the only one who could stand up against him single-handedly.
He used one of the most powerful Jutsu in the entire series called the Eight Inner Gates Formation. This Jutsu is forbidden because it claims the user's life for using it. Luckily, Naruto was able to save him with his Sage Powers, but Might Guy became paralyzed after this fight. His sayings are basically related to Rock Lee, as he always kept motivating him.
Quotes by Might Guy
1. “You’re right, all efforts are pointless…if you don’t believe in yourself."
2. “You have the gift of perseverance, and that’s what makes you a genius too!”
3. “It’s not always possible to do what we want to do, but it’s important to believe in something before you actually do it.”
4. “Don’t let anything stir you up the path you have drawn for yourself! Forge ahead in the end! Stick to it, Lee! Make me proud! Be everything you can be!”
5. “What is with your attitude?! We’ll never be young like this again!”
6. “If you want to be free from your suffering, make up your mind. If you give up on your dream, you will suffer more.”
7. “He was a worthy opponent! A man who lived and died like a real shinobi! Kisame Hoshigaki! I’ll remember that name for the rest of my life!”
8. “A failure will win even at the cost of their own life! ”
9. “When a man struts around like a peacock, acting like Mr. Big Stuff, he should keep his promises. Even if it kills him.”
10. "You have the power to shape your own destiny."
11. “That may be true… but they don’t just rot and die. They will become nourishment for the new, fresh leaves. The time when a new spring comes and the fresh leaves bud… is the peak of youth!! It’s the time to burn, deep crimson!8th Gate of Death Open!!!”
Neji was Hinata's cousin who was introduced as a rigid character. As a child, he hated Hinata since she was weak even though she was the eldest daughter of the clan leader. Neji changed during the Chunin Exams in the first Naruto franchise. He started caring more for Hinata but still held on to his goal of changing the Hyuga clan and the conventional ways they followed.
Neji died in the Fourth Great Shinobi War. It happened when the ten-tailed beast was on a full rampage. The beast started shooting spikes from its body, killing dozens at once.
Two of those spikes were headed straight of Naruto. Since Hinata was there, she immediately went forward to block them with her body. However, before the spikes could reach her, Neji came forward and saved both of them. He died in Naruto's arms with a smile on his face.
Quotes by Neji Hyuga
1. "There's no method but death to escape this horrible curse."
2. "The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits."
3. "The heavens will not allow a pawn who can only seek victory at the cost of himself to advance..."
4. "People share only one common fate... death."
5. "No one can determine another's destiny."
6. "Fear. That is what we live with. And we live it every day. Only in death are we free of it."
7. "Father, I finally understand your feelings… The freedom you felt when you chose to die to protect your friends…"
8. "The curse represents a mark of the bird in a cage... It is... the symbol of being tied down to an inescapable destiny."
9. Hinata... this is the unalterable difference in strength... the distinction that separates the elite from the failure. This is the unchangeable reality. From the moment you said you wouldn't run, your defeat was inevitable. The only possible outcome was your present despair... Withdraw!"
10. "These eyes of mine show me many things. One thing they've shown me...people's limitations are set, fixed, and unchangeable. Only a fool wastes his time trying to become something he can never be!"
11. "Once a failure, always a failure. You can't change that."
12. “Because Naruto… you saved me from the darkness.”
Haku was an orphan from the Land of Water, and a descendant of the Yuki clan. Later, Zabuza Momochi took him in and he became a shinobi under his tutelage. Haku then partnered with Zabuza, ultimately becoming a Mercenary Ninja. He lived life only for Zabuza's sake. He was too kind and hated the idea of killing people. Despite that, he did everything Zabuza asked him to. He believed that Zabuza didn't care for him and he was merely a tool for the latter to use.
Yet, Haku still chose to dedicate his life to him and protect him. His entire life, Haku never found out how much Zabuza loved him. Team 7 was against the two of them in a serious battle. It ended with Kakashi accidentally killing Haku while the former was aiming for Zabuza. Haku was a minor character in the series so he didn't have a lot of screentime. Despite that, he said some impactful things about his pain and loneliness that can be applied in real life as well.
Quotes by Haku
1. “Can you understand? Not having a dream… not being needed by anyone… The pain of merely being alive.”
2. “You still haven’t noticed that something precious to you has been replaced.”
3. “That is when I realized that in all of the world no one needed me. I was alone.”
4. “I want to make his dreams come true.”
5. "I am of no more use as his tool. Please, kill me.”
6. “When people are protecting something truly precious to them. They truly can become…as strong as they need to be!”
7. “Often people have it wrong, mistakenly believing… that showing mercy to an enemy is kindness. They spare the foe whose life is in their hands. But don’t you see? It’s an empty existence, to go on living… alone and unloved… when defeat’s already cost you your dream!”
8. “It is only through the eyes of others that our lives have any meaning.”
9. “Becoming a true shinobi is difficult for me… If possible I don’t want to kill you. Nor do I want you to have to kill me. But if you come at me… I can destroy my kind heart with a blade and become a true shinobi. This bridge is the place where we fight… to connect to our dreams. Me, for my dream, and you for your dreams. Please don’t hate me."
10. "I’m sure that the boy I killed, who shared that skill, must also have grown up knowing the pain of which I speak. We are special. We are powerful. And we are feared."
Zabuza was an S-rank rogue ninja from the Hidden Mist Village and one of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen. He was the very first villain that Naruto and his team came across during their initial missions as newly graduated Genins. Seeing Haku selflessly sacrifice himself to protect Zabuza, the latter realized how important Haku was to him. In the end, Zabuza couldn't bear the pain of losing Haku and ended up picking a fight with the villagers who were disrespecting Haku's remains.
Zabuza knew he'd end up dying if he did but that's what he was aiming for. He realized that Haku had been with every step of the way so the least he could do was be with him in the end. As he dragged his fatally wounded body towards Haku, he wished to be in a place where the latter went. Sadly, Zabuza realized he had done enough wrong deeds and that would probably be impossible.
Quotes by Zabuza Momochi
1. "Your words cut deep, deeper than any blade."
2. "Well? Cat got your tongue? Are you so surprised to discover that I'm human? Even shinobi are human. No matter how hard we try, we always fail to escape that simple fact. Well at least, I have failed."
3. "You were always at my side, the least I can do is to be beside you at the end. I know it cannot be, but I wish I could go to where you have gone. How I wish I could join you there, Haku."
4. "You don't need to say any more… It pained him to have to fight you… Haku fought not only for me… he fought for you guys too. He was too kind. I'm glad I got to face you guys in the end. You may be right… a shinobi is still a human… we may not be able to become emotionless tools…"
5. "Uh uh...I won't be joining Haku. Where he's gone I cannot follow. We wouldn't be welcome where Haku's gone to. Hell's where we're going, Gatō!"
6. "I died as a human!"
7. "His soul was as pure as snow."
8. "When you've hovered between life and death so many times that it doesn't faze you, you may be called a ninja. When you've become so deadly that your profile has been entered into my bingo book, then you may have earned the title ninja."
9. "You're right. Those little people and their little dreams, why should I care about them?! I have my own dream!"
10. "Well, I fear you’re in for a long and very painful eternity!”
Thanks for reading!